Because of the lack of characters in twitter, I thought I would share my setup via my blog and ask for recommendations on configuration. Specifically the recommended RAID configuration for the best backup time.
- VMware Essentials Plus, three ESXi 4.1 hosts
- Identical Hosts: Dell R710, Dual Intel Xeon E5530 2.4 GHz (dual quad core processors), 32GB of RAM
- EqualLogic PS5000e iSCSI SAN. 16x 1TB SATA II 7200RPM hard drives in a RAID 50 with 10.47 TB usable
- 23 Virtual Machines
- Approx 7TB file server storage in use
Destination (Veeam Backup Server)
- Physical Server: PowerEdge 2950, Dual Intel Xeon 5050 3.0 GHz, 4GB of RAM
- Direct Attached Storage: MD1000, 15x 2TB Western Digital RE4 Enterprise/RAID SATA II 7200RPM hard drives
So, basically a few questions:
- What RAID for best performance? My research tells me RAID 10 has best performance. However, I’d like to hear the recommended RAID setup for Veeam B&R. Could be that RAID 50 is recommended and RAID 10 would be overkill given the way Veeam backs up? I’m not sure. I need a reasonable backup window.
- Is the RAM okay, or need to upgrade? This server was previously a file server, so 4GB was more than sufficient.
- Currently the Veeam server is 2003. I’m thinking 2008 since we are starting from scratch. Any things to look for there?
- What’s the recommended backup schedule? Backup all at once? Split up based on host/lun? Limit backup to a specific number of VMs at once?
Thanks for your help. I could figure out by trail and error, but would rather not recreate the wheel. What works for you, and what is best practice?