Volume Licensing with Windows Vista, 7, Server 2008…

In moving to Windows 7, I ran into the question of volume licensing, KMS or MAK?  This video helped!


Basically, for KMS, you have to have a minimum of 25 machines that access the KMS service per month of Windows 7 (5 servers for Server 2008).  The KMS services is a service that you install on your local network (similar to the DNS “service”, DHCP “service”, etc).  If you are trying to activate less than 25 (as we are) via volume license, you’ll want to use MAK license keys, which uses MS hosted activation servers.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: